Recently I did an intense bootcamp workout. I felt so awesome and strong. Later that day my body decided it wasn’t as awesome as I thought and I started having back pain. Over the next few days it got worse and I was in excruciating pain. It has been a week and I am just now feeling better. I still have a twinge of pain but at least I am mobile. For those of you that have experienced back pain you know this is not a fun place to be. Here are some tips to help ease back pain if you are ever in this situation.
24-48 Hours After Injury
- ICE, ICE, ICE. Ice reduces swelling and will help ease some of the pain due to the inflammation.
- Wrap and ice pack or bag of frozen peas in a cloth in the place that hurts the most Ice in 20 minutes increments
- Do not place ice directly on skin as it can cause ice burns
- Ice several times throughout the day
- Aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen can help ease some of the pain/discomfort
After 48 Hours
- Soak in a warm bath or shower. Epsom salt soaks will help with muscle soreness.
- Use warm heating pads for 15 minutes at a time
- Do not place heating pads directly on the skin
In all cases, stay hydrated and rest. When resting make sure to either lay on your side with a small pillow between your knees or lay on your back with a small pillow under your knees. Avoid twisting or additional stress on your back.